Monday, March 06, 2006

Dora


This is a 1/32 scale model of a future homebuilt airplane which will be called Dora. It is a Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Interceptor, arguably the greatest German fighter plane of WWII. The original was powered by a 1,776 horsepower Junkers Jumo 213A-1 V-12 (12-cylinder) watercooled four-stroke engine turning a massive 3-bladed aluminum constant speed propeller. Wingspan of the original was 34.5 feet, and it weighed a whopping 6,650 pounds dead empty! Maximum level speed was 408 mph and had a service ceiling of 33,790 feet. Designed by Dipl-Ing Kurt Tank the early versions were radial-engine powered but the later models had in-line engines and long noses and the military designation for these new models was "Dora", hence the name.

I've had a boner for this airplane all my life. This is the third or fourth model I have had. I think it is beautiful in every way. It is both handsome and sinister, both graceful and muscular. It's one gorgeous bad-ass machine.

The replica will not likely be built anytime soon. I have one other homebuilt to build with Don Mei once he decides what he wants to build. Then I will be looking for a Pitts biplane to restore so it could be a long time....

The replica would be very nearly full-scale and powered by a twin-turbocharged 502 cubic inch Chevrolet V-8 (water-cooled four-stroke) with a Gershweinder PSRU turning a modified DC-3 propeller. I will trim it down some to maximize the performance on the 750 or so horsepower that I will have up front. My goal for empty weight will be under 3,000 pounds and with any luck under 2,500 pounds. Performance at this weight and power should equal or exceed the original in every category though I would expect a top speed of "only" about 330 mph (it's very hard to make up for 1,000 lost horsepower). I will have the next few years to collect parts and pieces on the cheap that I will need for the replica. I am hoping to find a pair of wings and some landing gear that I can "assimilate" into the replica to save some time. I will also be on the lookout for an aluminum big block for cheap and a pair of big turbo-chargers and lots of other bits and pieces. Maybe I will get lucky and find a PSRU (Propeller Speed Reduction Unit) for cheap too off of some wreck (what happened to that S-51 that crashed in the Texas desert Joe?). I will need truckloads of crap so I will be combing the airplane boneyards and swap-meets for the many pieces I will need. It is great to not be in a hurry, that's how you find the real bargains. If I cant find a fuselage that I can "bash" into the right shape, I will build a tubular steel superstructure and "mold" the shell using moldless composite techniques (that I will have to learn, lol, I need Jim Ouellette, Mr. Wizard of composite structures!).

Cheers!

Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home